Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Garden Goodies

As dry as it's been this summer, it's also been hot and my garden has been loving it. The squash plants seem to go on forever (and bearing fruit too) but the most amazing thing is my artichoke plant.

The fruit is huge and if you look closely, you can see other ones appearing too. Who'd imagine that you could grow artichokes up in Canada?

I planted ground cherries too. These little babies grow, as their name suggests, along the ground and bear fruit that are encapsulated in tiny paper lanterns. I'm hoping to get enough to make jam, but if not, they sure are delicious fresh from the plant.

And I have peppers coming out my ears this year! Last year I had almost none and this year they're bearing fruit like crazy. I left this one on the vine a little longer and voila! A red pepper. Love this time of year. My backyard is my grocery store. Now I need a cow. And some chickens!

3 comments:

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

What a wonderful harvest. Your artichoke reminds me of the old movie Little Shop of Horrors. Congrats on the successful pepper season. I've not had a good pepper year yet.

Knatolee said...

I can help you with the chickens!!!!!

Love your veggies!

Razzberry Corner said...

I love it! -Your backyard is your grocery store! Too cool. Next up, chickens.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails