Friday, August 20, 2010

Puffball Schnitzel

Yesterday, my doorbell rang and there was my neighbour Percy with a large bag. He said, "I heard you like these." Inside the bag was a soccer ball-sized puffball mushroom. Thanks Percy!


It was gorgeous and fresh and big!


After posing it on cake stands and plates, I decided I'd better cook it up while it was still fresh. There are many recipes on the web for making schnitzel with puffballs so I thought I'd give it a try.


First of all the mushroom has to be pure white inside, which means it's very fresh.


Remove the peel and cut the mushroom into 1/2" slices.


Coat on both sides with beaten egg.


Mix breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese with salt, pepper and whatever dried herbs you have and coat the slice...


...on both sides.


Place in a hot frying pan with oil...


...and brown on both sides, about 2 minutes a side. This is UNBELIEVABLY delicious. The inside is like warm, velvety mushroom--very mild in flavour and the outside is crunchy and delicious. I can't wait for the doorbell to ring again!


Postscript: Today I went out into the woods and lookie lookie what I found. Twelve more puffballs! Schnitzel anyone?

6 comments:

Knatolee said...

I love how we're leading parallel lives again. :) And if you Google "puffball schnitzel", both of our blogs are top hits today.

Love your forest o' puffballs!

Knatolee said...

And I think I went a little overboard on my oil. :)

Addison Dewitt said...

What the...

Lucy Ladham-Dyment said...

They look delicious. I have never had them before.

Anonymous said...

I found some little puffballs and I sliced and froze them for later. Will they still be as good?

Ronna said...

Yes @candysimonson, they should be fine!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails